When Does It Make Sense to Build a Custom Blockchain?
-
I’m trying to understand how businesses decide whether to build a custom blockchain or use an existing blockchain network.
If a project has specific requirements for scalability, transaction processing, consensus, governance, security, or system integrations, can a custom blockchain provide enough benefits to justify the additional development effort?
There are also other factors to consider, such as:
The type of blockchain network required
Smart contract functionality
Transaction speed and network performance
Security and testing requirements
Integration with existing business systems
Future scalability
Development and maintenance costs
I’m also interested in how businesses determine whether they actually need their own blockchain or whether an existing network with smart contracts would be enough for the project.
I found this resource while researching the topic. It explains the main areas involved in custom blockchain development:For developers and businesses that have worked on blockchain projects, what factors influenced your decision to build a custom blockchain or use an existing network?